Saturday 12 July 2008

Chester Mystery Plays

Chester Mystery Plays date back to the 1300s and are now performed once every 5 years, so when my friend told me he would be performing in them this year I made a big effort to go and see them. It meant starting my spinning class slightly earlier than usual and then running up to the Cathedral the minute I`d finished, but it was well worth the effort. The weather wasnt ideal..not a lovely mild July evening but a cold, damp and miserable one. However, staged in the Cathedral grounds with great enthusiasm from all involved, it was a colourful and thoroughly enjoyable evening`s entertainment. Matthew in particular did some magnificent grieving at the side when most people`s attention would have been on Jesus on the cross.

Once every five years suddenly seems a very long time between productions... it looked really good fun and a great way for the people of the Chester community to get together. I saw so many familiar faces in both the Plays and the audience. The weather didnt encourage people to go and sit in the open air though, one of the opening nights had to be cancelled and two days after we saw it the performance was rained off after an hour.

Ive lived in Chester for over 30 years and I have to admit its the first time I have been.... it was a great feelgood show.. well done to all involved.

1 comment:

Clare Dudman said...

I still haven't been! Keep meaning to...and was it really 5 years since the last one? Next time...definitely.