Saturday 11 October 2008

An afternoon at Bangor-on-Dee Races.



It was "totepool day" at Bangor today, featuring the toteswinger handicap chase, so Husb and I headed out to our local National Hunt racecourse near Wrexham. It was a lovely afternoon..we had none of the rain that had evidently poured down in Chester and the mild weather attracted a very good crowd (the ladies wearing more dresses than I have ever seen at Bangor before).

Husb was very impressed with the grass, as a cricketer he notices things like the quality of grass(and I had to agree it was plush, very green and very dry).

So full of enthusiasm and armed with the day`s top tips, we headed off to place our bets. The first race, a handicap steeple chase, was won by Laoch Dubh. No luck there then.

The toteswinger handicap chase was won by Bill`s Echo (let me quote the programme notes "Will need to raise his game to trouble the judge today" hmmmm)We didnt back that horse either.

Khachaturian won the third but was very short odds so we hadn`t backed him, besides.. I wanted Quail to win having eaten a quail`s egg on our cruise!

We should have put our money on Breedsbreeze in the novices steeple chase but I was a little reluctant to back a horse in the colours of Aston Villa fanatic Jim Lewis (he`s a lovely chap but... Aston Villa???? PUSB! PUSB!)We weren`t surprised to see him win although it was only by a last minute "neck"!!

WHAT A BUZZ!! "WHAT A BUZZ" indeed! At last I was able to shriek... this beautiful horse won me £30 WUTWOOOOO! and it was staying in my pocket! "IT MATTERS MORE WHEN THERE`S MONEY ON IT"...it certainly does.

(Is the jockey a Sheffield Utd fan?)

It was a great afternoon and my winnings DID stay in my pocket because, on learning that 11th October 1844 was the birth date of HENRY HEINZ(the things you learn from a racing programme eh?)I had baked beans for tea.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you had a tayro with them x x x x

aliholli said...

Most certainly did Pixen!

Clare Dudman said...

Heh heh - I love the bit about husb being impressed with the grass. And the bit about the beans.

Excellent pictures too.