Sunday 12 July 2009

Wrexham v Coventry City 11.7.09

It seemed strange to be watching a football match in July, but with the first of the City`s pre-season friendlies only 20 minutes away from where I live, I had to go, so I went! To be fair, it wasn`t a blisteringly hot summer`s day(in fact the black clouds were threatening all afternoon) but it DID feel odd to be making a cricket tea first! Wrexham are managed by Chris Coleman`s former Welsh colleague Dean Saunders so I expect they had a good "catch-up"





It was obvious from the start that this was very much a "warm up" game and both teams used about 20 players each to give everyone a run-out. Clinton Morrison ran a lot faster after he threw his heart monitor into touch.(He could breathe again!!) It was like he was telling new fitness coach Steve Harrison he couldn`t be doing with these fitness gadgets. The game finished up 1-1 (the City had a lot of opportunities to put it into the back of the net but seemed reluctant to shoot.)



It was nice to see Oggy at half time doing his goalie practise and taking corners. My Dad was chatting to him recently at Cov and North Warwick cricket ground where he is a useful bowler in the summer.



I was really impressed with the crowd. I honestly expected to see about 30 Coventry fans but I reckon about 300 fans came up from Coventry, loads were wearing the new kit and a few wore our fairly awful chocolate brown commemorative shirt(this year the club celebrates its 125th "birthday")

Look who I nearly walked into walking out of the ground! Dan Fox was on his way to the team bus and stopped to sign autographs. I suddenly felt very old and far too old to ask for an autograph but asked him to smile for a photo. Apparently Celtic, Reading and FOREST have joined the race to sign him. I should have said to him "I need some exclusive information for my blog Danny, are you staying or are you going?"






A great day, the rain held off till 7 and 2 lovely kind ladies had washed up after cricket for me. (I DID expect the Sky Blues to win about 6-0 tho.... )

No comments: