Sunday 18 October 2015

Bangor Half Marathon Oct 17th 2015

I think it's fair to say I enjoyed jogging round North Wales more than Nem did but we both had good legs, good lungs and a good time so we would consider running this half marathon again...but let's wait and see how our knees and feet are this time next year.  My knees were very well behaved today, it was my left foot that was complaining for the last 3 miles.
(My left foot, CUB, where are you when I need you?)


My new son-in-law offered to take us (well we couldn't risk cramp while driving home) and he had already eyed up where he was having his full English breakfast before we lined up at the start.


There were approximately 550 half marathon runners and we lined up with the 10k runners as the route was the same for the first 3 miles.



Whatever happened to "I need to set off  SLOWLY."? Good grief they all went off like a bottle of pop and were practically sprinting across the board walk, it was difficult not to get carried along in the rush. It settled down a bit once the 10k lot peeled off away from us and suddenly there was hardly anyone either in front of us or behind us.



Garth Pier over the Menai Straits.



I wouldn't describe this Half as "Scenery and the City". 
There was no "City" apart from the start /finish by Debenhams (and Greenwoods Suits!!) and there were more roads and country lanes than "Scenery"....



 .....but we DID run round the grounds of  Penrhyn Castle and this was where we overtook our pacemaker who we found out later to be called Heidi and who had also done the Chirk Half.






The run was similar to Chirk in many ways, like soooo NOT flat, just not QUITE as steep and I could walk after it. (!)

At the ten mile point I thought Nem was looking strong and focused but her grimace and silence were, in fact, because she was feeling horrendous (oops) She went from very pink to very white very quickly so I told her we were already on mile 11... but she wasn't being fooled that easily.


So we shared an energy gel for its psychological boost and I added a few more yards to my Half by nipping across the field to take a photo of the North Wales coastline.


There were virtually NO supporters. All our encouragement came from the stewards and marshals and a few shoppers.



But we still milked it.










HEIDI !!


And then we found out out how fabulous we had been.
First mature lady home and second young lady home.
1 hour 57 and a plank to finish.
So it wasn't so bad after all.
I won a tee shirt YAY!


Mapmyrun couldn't cope with all the figure of eights and made me out to be superhuman. 
24 miles at 4 minutes a mile?!! HA!

(We were happy enough with 13 miles in 1.57) 


What we actually did :)

1 comment:

Clare Dudman said...

I can't believe you managed to do the plank after all that!