Tuesday 29 December 2015

The Cayman Islands OMG


The Cayman Islands!
Grand Cayman to be precise.
A tax haven for the rich.


Really??

We got the first tender off the ship (blimey, that's a first) and met "Rich the Irishman" who ran the bike tours and he set us up with our bikes.


Well it so wasn't a spinning bike. No brakes and no gears, (very American)(very Mary Poppins) and I gulped at the thought of riding main roads on it.


But the route took us down country lanes with very little traffic and we soon got the hang of it. 
Pedalling backwards equals brakes? It was much more natural to put my foot down.



We did see the sea, look at this beautiful turquoise sea....

but due to the high standard of living and no tax to pay....


... no annual property tax, income tax or corporation tax....significant investments are made in Cayman Condominiums. It is a highly desirable place to buy properties for retirement, to inhabit or to let and so when cycling along the coast we had to look THROUGH these condos to see the sea.
This beautiful turquoise sea.




We biked up to the kite school but there wasn't lot of kite action going on so we continued on the loop because there was a beach on the map on 7 MILE DRIVE that I wanted to investigate and a turquoise sea I needed to swim in....plus there was a Santa hat in my bag that needed to get out. 
Well of course there was.





And yes, as soon as we reached the beach, Mr Claus DID make an appearance.


My sinking in the sand plank is now in my Planks around the World Album.


The sand though. The SAND. LOOK AT IT!!



It was lovely and not too swelteringly hot. 
I'm so glad we didn't pay £10 to see the tanks of turtles at The Turtle Farm though, especially after I saw the sign TURTLE MEAT FOR SALE. How can anyone eat a turtle. I LOVE turtles.

We had heard about Hell





The short, black, limestone formations caused someone to shriek "This is what Hell must look like" and the name stuck.



FIVE minutes there was plenty long enough! A quick photo and a postcard and before we knew it we were back in Georgetown in the Smugglers Rum Bar which was highly preferable, although now we are home we can say we've been to Hell and back ...and had a Helluva time there etc etc.



I look like I've been to Hell don't I, with my beetroot cheeks. 


Back on board I tried to be a bit more ladylike. 


It was another fabulous day. Blimey Grand Cayman. 
Whoever would have thought it. 



No comments: