Wednesday 19 September 2012

Shrewsbury v Cov (the best bit was meeting Dick and Pam)

I'm still getting over yesterday! What a day-it seemed to go from bad to worse.

I've been working at the sports centre long enough (34 years) not to expect any special treatment but I do expect the music machine to be charged up and ready to go... my day started with one CD player flat as a pancake and the replacement CD player gave up after half an hour. It isn't easy trying to keep jolly and motivating when you are feeling frustrated but I somehow kept a smile on my face, I told my 2 favourite jokes and got my 35 ladies to sing the cancan tune (♪♫☺nah nah nananana nah nah nananana ♪♫☺) and we managed to muddle through the last half hour of aquarobics.

We'd said we'd go over to Shrewsbury last night to watch the City play (bad idea) and we thought if we set off early we'd have time for pub grub or at least a bag of chips before the game. How wrong can you be? Have they left all the signs up for parking at the old stadium??? We seemed to drive round following signs that led nowhere, (though Shrewsbury town centre looks very nice) residents have delighted in brandishing NO PARKING notices everywhere and the new stadium's carpark is for permit holders only. What a blummin faff.

It took us that long we didn't actually get to a pub or chippy. Footy fodder it was then. The chicken balti pie repeated on Husb. And then the match started.  Now, I do love night matches, there always seems to be a different kind of atmosphere when the floodlights are on and the sky behind them is black. But Oh Lordy. What a dreadful performance from the Sky Blues.

3 minutes into the game is NOT a good time to concede a goal.

We went to pieces immediately and were a shambles from start to finish really, because even though we had a fair bit of possession, we never seemed to know what to do with the ball and all the dithering meant the shrews had time to get back. We made them look like Brazil (so our disgruntled crowd sang). I must say, I totally understand how frustrated, angry and disappointed our supporters are but they did the team no favours by barracking them constantly for 90 minutes, it was actually as embarrassing OFF the pitch as it was ON it. But we really were very terribly hopeless.

4-1 to Shrewsbury aaarrrggghhh !! I'm afraid we got what we deserved. (Heaven help us against Arsenal.) (I can't POSSIBLY make that fixture!)

So back to the car...a dark ,dingy walk behind an unlit fence alongside a meadow... it was so spooky. All the locals were carrying torches....not a nice walk. I'm glad I wasn't on my own.

So we drove home hungry, depressed and disappointed, listening to FiveLive's accounts of the fantastic games in Europe featuring Man City, who lost 3-2 in the last minute to Real Madrid, and Arsenal working hard to win ...we could have watched both/either of those games, or even the Great British Bake Off instead of Cov's poor offering.

The least I could do was make Husb a bacon sandwich at half ten., after all, he had to suffer it all too and he doesn't even suppport the Sky Blues. But the bread had gone mouldy. Sums it all up really.



So.......enough of that. Today is Frannieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's 60th so I burned her a chopping board.



...and little Charlie has now received the name plaque I coloured. What a little cutie.

Anyway its about time I blogged some holiday photos...I better do them next.



No comments: