Thursday 19 August 2010

DUBROVNIK (weyhey!!)

Isn't it a great name..."Dubrovnik"... I have liked the sound of this city for ages.

The route Aurora took, between Italy and Sicily, was fascinating. Superb weather made for an extremely pleasant transit through the scenic Messina Strait. The pilot was equally impressive, boarding Aurora from a speedboat at a fast pace of 16 knots (most pilots board at a speed of 7 knots) so things were looking good from the very start.

We were not disappointed.




Although Dubrovnik was heavily shelled in the Yugoslav civil war in 1991 ...



...this beautiful red-tiled city has been rebuilt, and the stunning city walls are still the most complete in Europe. Suddenly our walls in the city of Chester seem very ordinary.

So up onto the towering ramparts we went...






I did that much oooohing and aaahhhhing that husb LOCKED ME UP...



Great views of the pretty harbour..




Just look at these walls



are you looking at these superb city walls???



I loved it. I was so impressed. It would have made a fantastic 1 and a half mile training run, (all the steep steps) until Husb pointed out that at £9 a time it would be more expensive than joining a gym!!



Back into the spectacular Old Town (home of the oldest pharmacy in the world, Kay, 1391) for a mozie and an ice cream



and then we headed to the beach because I needed to swim in the ADRIATIC SEA.




I was nearly a typical English tourist in cozzy and socks (!!) because the shingle (grrrr) hurt my feet but I was persuaded by four 8 year old boys to LEAP OFF A ROCK with them into the sea. Yes I LEAPT OFF A ROCK....



Adriatic Sea. Tick. Done. Next...

No comments: